The Cat's Cradle

"No wonder kids grow up crazy. A cat's cradle is nothing but a bunch of X's between somebody's hands, and little kids look and look and look at all those X's . . . No damn cat, no damn cradle." -- Kurt Vonnegut

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

As long as we're on the subject...

It seems that sports is not the only arena in which people argue over hall of fame selection.

We study the results of elections of Fellows of the Econometric Society. We are motivated largely by the question of whether these elections are “fair,” where our definition of fairness is that votes are based solely on the quality of the candidates. If so, then conditional on quality other characteristics of the candidates (such as geographic location or subspecialty) should not influence the probability of election. We find that, conditional on a number of measures of the quality of the candidates, other characteristics do significantly predict election. For example, an Australian econometrician is less likely to be elected than a North America-based economic theorist. This is true whether or not we control for quality measures.

This from Hamermesh and Schmidt, The Determinants of Econometric Society Fellows Elections (subscription required). So while market size may not matter in baseball, it appears both market size and position matter for economists.

Now I just have to figure out how to get my HOF research published in Econometrica.

2 Comments:

At 7:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I cοuld not refrain from cοmmеntіng.

Vеry well ωrіtten!

My blog post hcg diet weight loss product
Also see my web site: hcg injections in nc

 
At 3:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello thеrе! I coulԁ havе sworn Ι've been to this web site before but after going through a few of the posts I realized it's new to me.
Nonetheleѕѕ, I'm certainly happy I discovered it and I'll be book-maгκіng it and cheсking
back гegulaгly!

my blοg - derek poundstone steroids
my web page - steroids stacks

 

Post a Comment

<< Home